Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Sun Does Shine in Kyoto

[I wrote this post on Thursday, but due to some technical problems it took me a while to get the video up, so that is why I am posting it now - on a Saturday morning that is definitely not sunny. More updated posts coming soon.]

Konbanwa All,

It is Thursday, June 17 - about 18:00 in Kyoto. Things are getting a lot better. Today it was actually sunny all day. It had been nothing but clouds and rain since we got here, but they don't call it the rainy season for nothing.

I'm starting to get a grasp. I still am quite terrible, but I can sense progress. With that in mind, I can actually enjoy this experience. I'm still jet lagged though, so it is hard to motivate myself to go too far from the apartment. I think it is more important that I get on a somewhat of a normal routine before I start wandering around in a strange land. I'd prefer not to fall asleep on the streets of Kyoto. Especially since the only story I heard of someone getting robbed in Kyoto was from this one rather annoying student at our DC orientation. He told us how a friend of his got drunk and fell asleep (passed out?) on the street. And what do you know?! He awoke to find his money and debit card gone. Imagine that...

Anyway, here is that tour of my apartment that I promised plus some other things. It is a bit long, but there is lots of movement. Plus I'm a little less jet-laggy. A little.






Man, I'm terrible at vlogs. Oh well - I'll get better eventually.

So yes, that's where I live. It is pretty dang nice and big compared to most Japanese apartments. The video doesn't do it justice, especially when I'm using my computer as a camera. And unfortunately I forgot to show you the wonderful pink toilet paper. Oh well, another time.

Lets see... what else?...

My classmates are pretty great. We seem to all get along and with our varying skill levels we are able to figure out what is going on at the end of each class. We make sure we understand what homework we have. It is tough when you assigned homework for the language you're learning in the language you are attempting to learn. The people in the more advanced class are nice too, but since they are above and beyond me, it is hard to socialize with them.

And I must continue my dialogue about Takeshima sensei. I wish I wasn't so tired and could fully express how awesome she is. Hopefully I can get a picture of her and all my senseis on here at some point. Maybe once I can learn how to politely request such a thing without stumbling on my words. It is a comfort to know that my teacher crushes not only transcend gender and age and the that fact that sometimes they are married, but it can even transcend language and culture. My anthropological heart swoons... Any-who...

Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of my pre-departure and some arrival photos. I've gotten behind on uploading them. But that is for another post.

Talk to everyone later!
Ja ne!

2 comments:

  1. "I haven't done any laundry yet because... I can't. Figure it out."

    I love that, even in Japan, you're accidentally creepy. Your giant camera is poised on the table, pointed out the back window, so I imagine you just sitting there spying on people and photographing them.

    I have a new mission for you: I want you to drink tea and/or sake from tiny cups. I think that would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just now had time to fully watch the vlogs - I love the tour of the apartment! It gives a good sense of the cozy efficiency. I'm glad you are more settled - the 13 hour difference takes quite awhile to adjust to physically. Let us know when the EPB arrives - hope it a yummy bit of home for you! We miss you & we ARE watching & reading every post/skype/text - etc..!

    ReplyDelete